Can not install Ghostery Browser

When I try to install it asks for Ghostery.exe to be located. Is there a desktop version of Ghostery? If so, I do not see it on the website. I thought it was only a browser add-on.

Hey there! I’m Adamarie, Ghostery’s UX Researcher. It’s a pleasure having you over here!

Yes! You may be able to download the product in any of the following links, since you were a GhostTester and already received the email:

· Windows: https://get.ghosterybrowser.com/download/win
· Mac: https://get.ghosterybrowser.com/download/mac
· Linux: https://get.ghosterybrowser.com/download/linux

Let me know if you have downloaded it already! I’d like to know your thoughts so far!

-Ada

I’ve just downloaded the linux version of the browser. It isn’t clear how to install it. I’d assumed it would be a snap or flatpak installation (so it would work with any distro) or .rpm or .deb for different distros but it’s just a collection of files. I tried running Ghostery and Ghostery-bin but they have unfound dependencies.

Help! I’d settle for a make file or equivalent …

Simon

Hello Simon!

Unfortunately, yes, there are dependencies. Here are some instructions to install the browser in your home directory, that although you’ve been having some dependencies, I hope maybe these instructions will work:

*Download Ghostery Browser for Linux*
  • Extract the file you downloaded into ~/ghostery (e.g. by doing tar jxf Ghostery*.tar.bz2 -C $HOME)*
  • Make a backup of your ~/.ghostery\ browser directory (e.g. by doing tar zcPf ~/ghostery-backup-$(date +%s).tar.gz ~/.ghostery\ browser) *
    Next, if this is the first time you have installed a Ghostery Browser build, do the following:
  • Quit any instances of Ghostery Browser you have open.*
  • Run ~/Ghostery/Ghostery -ProfileManager to start the Ghostery Browser profile manager*
  • Create a new profile called ghostery-build*
  • Make sure that the default profile is still selected*
  • Click exit to close the profile manager (do not start Ghostery Browser)*
  • Run the following shell script:*
  • mkdir -p ~/bin*
  • cat > ~/bin/ghostery <<END*
  • #!/bin/bash*
  • exec "$HOME/Ghostery/Ghostery” -P ghostery-build “$@”*
  • END*
  • chmod 755 ~/bin/ghostery*
    The ghostery command in your ~/bin directory will now run Ghostery Browser with the ghostery-build profile.

Nonetheless, since its beta release we’ve been seeking for community help because we also want to support our Linux users, so feel free to check these out:

Additionally: You can definitely build the browser from source as described here: https://github.com/ghostery/user-agent-desktop

So sorry this hasn’t been as straight-forward as you expected, so thank you for letting me know, it’s really helpful so we can improve how to inform our Linux users.

Please let me know if you have any additional comments or feedback. I’m here for it!

-Ada

Hey Ada,
Tried the instructions on your

page and I got nowhere. The bash script reported two errors:

./ghostery: line 3: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"’
./ghostery: line 4: syntax error: unexpected end of file

copy of bash script:

#!/bin/bash

exec "$HOME/Ghostery/Ghostery” -P ghostery-build “$@”

I am running LMDE4 using Xfce DE. If you need any more info about my system please let me know.

So far I have had no issues downloading or expanding the tar file, but following the procedure was not straight forward. Since I am not a software guy, I am a hardware guy, I may have been assumed to have more knowledge than I actually have. Below you will see my comments on the procedure and you may be able to gleen how nube I really am.

START:

How To Install Ghostery Dawn on Linux

First, if you have previously installed Ghostery Dawn, we recommend making a backup of your ~/.ghostery\ browser directory       [*I skipped this due to no prior install*]

tar zcPf ~/ghostery-backup-$(date +%s).tar.gz ~/.ghostery\ browser

Download the latest version of Ghostery Dawn for Linux here
Extract the file you just downloaded into ~/Ghostery

tar jxf Ghostery*.tar.bz2 -C $HOME

Next, if this is the first time you have installed a Ghostery Dawn build, run through the following steps:
    Quit any instances of Ghostery Dawn you have open.
    Run ~/Ghostery/Ghostery -ProfileManager to start the Ghostery Dawn Profile Manager
    Create a new profile called ghostery-build
    Make sure that the default profile is still selected [*Upon getting this far was I supposed to create a 'Default User' account? or Just the 'ghostery-build' account? When I exited the ProfileManager I tried it both ways and still no joy. When I had a 'Default User' account I made sure it was highlighted when I exited. *]
    Click exit to close the profile manager (do not start Ghostery)
    Run the following shell script to add dawn to your path:

mkdir -p ~/bin
    cat > ~/bin/ghostery <<END
    #!/bin/bash

exec "\$HOME/Ghostery/Ghostery” -P ghostery-build "\$@"
    END
    chmod 755 ~/bin/ghostery

Success! The ghostery command in your ~/bin directory will now run Ghostery Dawn with the ghostery-build profile.
(Optional) You may also want to add the ~/bin directory to your path so you can run the ghostery command from any folder.
    Add ~/bin to your $PATH in your shell config:bash:

echo 'export PATH="$PATH:~/bin"' >> ~/.bash_profile

zsh:

echo 'export PATH="$PATH:~/bin"' >> ~/.zshrc

open a new shell window to load updated config
    you should now be able to run ghostery from any folder to start Ghostery Dawn

STOP

This is as accurate as I know how to be. I hope this helps you help me.
Have a great day.

PS – I heard about your browser on Destination Linux YouTube channel.

Hey there! First of all, welcome to our feedback community.

I appreciate so much your time sharing with me this. We’re rolling with the punches and your feedback definitely helps us improve how to make this installation process better.

Shared your comment with our team and we noticed it has a unicode quote when it needs a standard ascii quote:

We JUST updated our Github Linux installation process thanks to your comment!

Here’s the link: Install Ghostery Dawn on Linux · ghostery/user-agent-desktop Wiki · GitHub

Please let me know if you have anything else you’d like to share!

-ada